Samba Printing

Michael Theodoulou theodo at ece.arizona.edu
Sat Apr 21 11:56:44 GMT 2001

I have a deskjet 895Cse printer that works perfectly through samba and lpr.
Currently the printer prints jobs from win2k and win95 machines. The problem
is that when users try to print large documents such as omre than 20 pages
the printer stops printing and just hangs there. I have to restart lpd and
restart the printer and resend the job.
The samba logs just say this
[2001/04/21 04:35:10, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(583)
 desktop (192.168.1.2) closed connection to service DeskJet

which i suppose means that the win2k machine ends the connection before the
print job is sent or what?
SO how can i fix this from happening?
Heres my smb.conf part of the printer share
[DeskJet]
        printable = yes
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -h  %s
        printer = lp
        printing = BSD
        read only = yes
        guest ok = no
        invalid users = root bin daemon nobody named sys tty disk mem kmem
users

Also i was wondering if there is a way to notify the user that the print job
is finished as it is done with the NT spoolers. Can that be done with samba?
Thank you
Michael A Theodoulou