Install problems with RedHat 7.0 RPM for 2.2.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Apr 20 23:49:18 GMT 2001

John Benedetto wrote:

> --On Friday, April 20, 2001 10:06 AM -0500 Andrew Rittner
> <arittner at gris.grad.uconn.edu> wrote:
>
> > Ahha... yup, that fixed it. Thanks!
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > At 04:07 PM 4/19/01, Steven Sedlmeyer wrote:
> >> 400 Server Error
> >> chdir failed - the server is not configured correctly
> >>
> >> The most expedient work around is to create the directory
> >> /usr/share/samba and move /usr/share/swat there.
>
> Well, we did that, and now I get the login prompt when I try to enter SWAT,
> but it fails with "authorization failed. retry?" dialog in Netscape, then
> "401 Bad Authorization username or password incorrect" on the screen.
>
> We are testing Samba, and have not gone (thankfully) into production yet!
>
> RH6.2
> Samba 2.20 RPM  off of the Samba site.
>
> I am now also unable to log into my Domain or manually map drives (which
> was working fine before the upgrade) and I am seeing these lines in the
> log.smbd:
>
> [2001/04/20 09:48:04, 0] passdb/pampass.c:pam_accountcheck(381)
>   PAM: Account Validation Failed - Rejecting User!
> [2001/04/20 09:48:04, 0] passdb/pampass.c:pam_accountcheck(381)
>   PAM: Account Validation Failed - Rejecting User!
> [2001/04/20 09:48:04, 0] passdb/pampass.c:pam_accountcheck(381)
>   PAM: Account Validation Failed - Rejecting User!
>
> But we are NOT using PAM.  It is installed  - pam-0.72-20.6.x according to
> rpm -q, but we are not using it for Samba

This is your problem.  If you compile with PAM (the RPMS are), then you
have indicated that you want to use PAM.  Simply setup a correct
/etc/pam.d/samba and all will be well.  The reason that encrypted
passwords will fail is that they now check with PAM to see if the
account is disabled.  (PAM can't handle the encrypted password, but is
still in a position to say yea or nay to the user based on account
status, time of day and the like).

> Could SWAT not working be tied into this other problem?

Yes, both are the same problem, SWAT sends its plaintext password
directly to PAM for verification, so will fail similarly if PAM is not
setup.

Andrew Bartlett
abartlet at pcug.org.au

--