Fwd: kerberos V and samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Apr 20 23:54:13 GMT 2001

Anthony Brock wrote:

> No.  This question was never answered.  What I have discovered on my own is:
>
> If you configure and build the server software with support, then
>
> 1) smbclient will work, using the krb5 user name and password, assuming the
> user has an local machine account.
>
> 2) Remote logins from windows do not appear to work.
>
> I am still very interested in any information on this topic, if
> available.  Especially any how-to or related documents.
>
> Tony

Kerebos should work if the client sends a plaintext username/password,
it certainly cannot work with encrypted passwords.  (But then, sending
plaintext passwords kind of defeats the purpose of kerebos).

If it doesn't work for plain-text passwords, then that's a bug - and it
will need to be looked into more carefully.  Unfortunately plain-text
passwords are now the exception rather than the rule for samba
users/samba testers, so its not entirely unlikely.

Andrew Bartlett