upgrade, best way

Douglas Egan doug.egan at windriver.com
Fri Apr 20 14:56:46 GMT 2001

I did the same thing with netbsd.  I did the brute force method.  I installed 2.2 in a different directory (/usr/local/samba) but I used the same config file.

I manually edited inetd.conf and put the new path info to smbd, nmbd and swat.

Killed and restarted the process, and it worked.

Now I need to think if I do the pkg_delete, will it mess anything up.  Hopefully not.

Doug

Jeroen Heijungs wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> currently I am running Samba 2.0.7 on FreeBSD (stable 4.2), I have seen
> that the port for Samba 2.2 is already available.
>
> What is the best way to install:
> - first make deinstall for the old version -or-
> - just make install for the new version
>
> Also any other pitfalls? (in the smb.conf for instance?
>
> Any advice/experience is welcome
>
> tia
> Jeroen Heijungs
>
> --