Embedded functionality...

Thor Johnson tjohnson at acpthinclient.com
Thu Apr 19 19:02:05 GMT 2001

Greetings!

I need to make a "light samba" that just supports printing from W2k/W95 to
a local printer... I turned off CUPS support and left most ./configure thing
at their default "off" positions and got a 1.2M executable; I need to trim
that down quite a bit in order to embed it...

I'm currently thinking with a lot of ifdefs and some additional code that
writes
directly to a file specified in the conf file [e.g. directprint=/dev/lp0]
since we don't have space for samba/lpr/lpq to spool it...
So you'll be able to do something like
./configure --without-disk --direct-print

Some questions:
1.  Is anyone interested in this?
2.  Which version should I start with (err.. a preferred version if you
	would like me to submit my patches back to you)
3.  Where can I find docs that describe the layout of the code to help
	me find where to put the #ifdefs and other things?
4.  Would I have to do the direct printer I/O in a nonblocking form, or
	would samba/SMB/W2k be able to handle it if I blocked while writing to
	the printer port?

TIA,
Thor Johnson
www.acpthinclient.com