Unable to connect to samba server from Nt machine

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Apr 19 16:31:44 GMT 2001

Hello Tajinder,
Looking at your smb.conf file, I notice that you are in share level
security,
and since the line encrypted passwords = yes is not in your smb.conf file,
you are only able to process non-encrypted passswords.  Windows 95 by
default
sends plaintext passwords, which is why your win95 clients are working (I
think).
But NT SP4 by default will NOT send plaintext passwords, hence (again, I
think) your
problem.
You can apply a registry change on your nt4 client to allow it to send
unencrypted
(plaintext passwords) if you wish; if you move the file

/usr/local/samba/docs/NT4_PlainPassword.reg

to your NT pc and double click on it, it will enable your NT client to send
plaintext passwords.

Hope this helps,
don