Chdir problem with SWAT.

Andrew Rittner arittner at gris.grad.uconn.edu
Thu Apr 19 17:07:38 GMT 2001

Hi! I just upgraded from Samba 2.07 to 2.2.0. After the upgrade, I can no
longer get into SWAT on the test server I installed it on. It's running
RedHat 7.0, with xinetd, and kernel 2.4.2.  I believe my xinetd settings
are correct, but here they are anyway:

service swat
{
         disable = no
         port    = 901
         socket_type     = stream
         wait    = no
         user    = root
         server  = /usr/sbin/swat
         log_on_failure  += USERID
}

What happens is when I try to get to port 901 from either the localhost or
from a remote machine, I get the following error:

400 Server Error

chdir failed - the server is not configured correctly

... and the following line appears in /var/log/secure

xinetd[1899]: START: swat pid=2160 from=<ip>

I removed the IP address I was coming from, as well as the date, but you
get the idea.

/etc/services is set up properly, with port 901 set up for SWAT.

I've seen this question posted a bunch of times to the archives, but no
answers yet... any ideas?

Andy