Error Mapping Clearcase Views/Vobs using Samba

rbhasin at hss.hns.com rbhasin at hss.hns.com
Thu Apr 19 14:47:39 GMT 2001

Hi All,

Users at our site are using SAMBA (Version 2.0.8 and 1.9.15p8) to map their Home
Directories and their Clearcase Vobs/Views on their Windows 2000 desktops. Home
directories are being mapped without any issues but while mapping their
views/vobs we are getting the error stated below:

Network  path   \\server name\share  could  not be found

          and

The mapped network drive could not be created because of the following error has
occured:
An extended error has occured.

Below is the partial content of the smb.conf file
[vkatyal_2]
path =/view/vkatyal_view/cm_data/ain
user = vkatyal
public = no
writable = yes
printable = yes
create mask = 0755

Also when we try to map the users home directories using smbclient on Solaris
systems they are mapped
without any error and the listing at the smb prompt (smb: \>) displays the
content of the users
home directory, whereas while mapping their views using Samba 2.0.8 we get the
smb prompt but
when doing the listing it gives the error:

paras:root>./smbclient \\\\paras\\vkatyal_2
added interface ip=139.85.241.14 bcast=139.85.241.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.8]
smb: \> ls
ERRDOS - ERRbadfile (File not found.) listing \*

                48374 blocks of size 65536. 18800 blocks available

But the mapping of the unix side works well with Samba 1.9.15p8.
Can anyone guide me, why is this happening is this a Windows 2000 related issue
or Clearcase related
issue. Has anyone faced similar problem, any help to sort out this issue will be
highly appreciated.

Thanx in Advance.

Regds
Rajan