Samba & Linux SMP kernel

Eric Sisler esisler at westminster.lib.co.us
Wed Apr 18 20:22:42 GMT 2001

Chris Watt <cnww at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> > Most of the problems I'm having are oplock
> >related.  Oplocks work pretty well on 1.9 but badly under 2.0.  Is my SMP
> >kernel the culprit or do I need to look elsewhere?

>I'm running Samba 2.0.7 on a SMP kernel 2.4.2 (although the same Samba
>installation functioned the same way when the box was running 2.2.17 a few
>months back). I do have a problem with oplocks, but I think that it is
>supposed to be a feature rather than a bug: Samba gives/respects oplocks,
>but no other server-side software is aware of them so server-side file
>changes can confuse the heck out of a workstation. This applies also to
>stuff which is shared by both NFS and Samba.

As Jerry said, that's related to the "kernel oplocks"
setting.  Unfortunately for me, that isn't the source of my problem since
I'm not running both NFS and Samba on the same server.  I wish it was that
simple.  I can think of one or two more things to try here to remedy my
problem.  Failing that, I'll post some results here and hope someone has an
answer.

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician