2.2, woddidido?

Greg Louis glouis at consultronics.com
Wed Apr 18 19:23:42 GMT 2001

The hornbill book and the docs have been perused (for hours) and I'm
stumped.  I've upgraded two 2.0.7 installations to 2.2.0 today; the
first one came up sweetly with everything working fine, but the second,
though mostly ok, has a problem somewhere.  On that machine, if I do
smbclient -L localhost -U% it replies:

  tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid
  share name)

If I do smbclient -L localhost -U root I get a full share list.  If I
use the ID of a valid user (who can connect to his home share and to
all the other shares to which he's entitled, using smbclient
\\\\localhost\\sharename), and I do smbclient -L localhost -U thatuser, I
get the error message (so it's not just to do with the guest account).

The whole /usr/local/samba tree is owned by root with group root and
permissions 755.  The partition /srv where the shares other than homes
live has the same ownership and permissions.  The only other shares are
five autoloaded printers from /etc/printcap, and if I remove the
[printers] stanza completely from smb.conf, it makes no difference.

The installation was from source with --enable-syslog as the only
option given to the configure script.  Compilation and installation
seemed trouble-free.

Please, has anybody an idea where I should be looking, and for what?
Please cc me with answers, as I'm not on the list yet.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s               | gpg or pgp: finger        |
| Consultronics Corporate Manager  |  glouis at consultronics.com |