Setting 'Character set' doesn't work

Koblinger Egmont egmont at fazekas.hu
Wed Apr 18 16:53:00 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm using samba on a sparc solaris 8 machine with the config file
included below. Both 2.0.7 and 2.2.0 seem to have the following bug:

When I comment out the 'character set' and 'client code page' options,
everything's okay. However, if I set those to any values (I'd like to use
iso8859-2 - 852 mapping) then samba becomes unable to authenticate the
users against the password server. Furthermore, it probably sends some
very nasty thing or sends a wrong password many times, since the WinNT
password server locks me out for a couple of hours.

Neither my login name nor my password contains any character outside the
US-ASCII charset.

br,
Egmont Koblinger

Here's my config file:

[global]
        workgroup = XYZ01
        netbios name = ABC01
        server string = My Server
        interfaces = 172.24.168.158/24
        security = server
        password server = kenny
        log file = /var/log/smb/log.%m
        os level = 0
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 172.24.148.15
        invalid users = root
        hosts allow = 172.24.
        load printers = No
        veto files = /lost+found/
#       character set = iso8859-2
#       client code page = 852

[other sections follow..... i don't include them]