How to use SMBSH ???

reg at dwf.com reg at dwf.com
Wed Apr 18 07:28:14 GMT 2001

I see references to people using the /smb file system to get at
files over on NT servers, but I am not succeeding.

My basic interest would be to get at my mail files without having
to dual-boot over to windows, or to have to use VMWare to run a
windows sub-session.

It would SEEM that if I could see the mail spools from my unix machine
under /smb, then I could use Netscape to read the mail...

My understanding of the documentation is that I should run SMBSH
and then run my UNIX process there, where I should be able to access
the NT files under /smb.

When I attempt this I get

    [reg at orion bin]$ ./smbsh
    Username: rwclemens
    Password:
    ERROR: can't get smbw shared lock (Invalid argument)
    [reg at orion bin]$

Looking at the code where this message is generated doesnt help much.
Any ideas on what Im doing wrong, since I cant seem to even get into
the game????

[ for reference, this is samba-2.2.0-alpha3, tho Ive had the same
problem with the other other versions Ive tried.]

				Reg.Clemens
				reg at dwf.com