Linux, Samba, UTC and wonky time

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed Apr 18 07:08:16 GMT 2001

David Rankin wrote:

> Brian Wright wrote:
>
> > David,
> >
> > I was reading on Deja that you were having difficulties with Linux and
> > Windows with the daylight savings.  I'm not sure how you're experiencing it.
> > My problem is when I mount Windows shares on Linux.  The wierd thing is
> > this.  Windows has the correct time set.  Linux has the correct time set.
> > However, whenever I create a file on Windows through an smbmount, Windows
> > sees the file as having been created 1 hour prior to the Windows current
> > time.  Yet, both Linux and Windows are set to the correct time (i.e.,
> > daylight savings).  Is this what you are seeing?  If so, how have you
> > corrected it (or have you?)
> >
> > Any info you might have would be appreciated.
> >

> Brian my problems are slightly different but certainly qualify as "wonky time."
> My problem is with Mandrake 7.2 (stock - installed via ISO image) and Samba 2.07
> (stock - installed via same ISO image) when Samba is acting as a time server. I
> can't set my Hardware clock to GMT and get Samba to serve the correct time.
> Whenever I set my hardware clock to GMT and properly config my timezone files,
> Samba serves time to my Windows machines that is either GMT (with localtime set
> to [no selection]) or GMT + 5 hours (with localtime set to [America/Chicago]).
> The only way I can get Samba to serve the right time is to set my hardware clock
> to CDT (with localtime set to [America/Chicago]).
>
> Now Samba serves the correct time to the WinXX machines, but if I send mail from
> kmail on my Linux box, all of my e-mail is time stamped CDT-5hr. or GMT. Go
> figure? Somewhere and offset is getting applied in the wrong direction. I still
> haven't sorted this out, but I am still working on it as time permits.
>
> I sure wish someone had some additional ideas on this....
>
> --
> David C. Rankin
> Nacogdoches, Texas

(I continued thinking on this issue after our last exchange, but never
commited it to words, so here goes:)

The only thing I can think has happend is that samba starts before the
timezone is set.  I don't have the foggiest how that could happen, but
you might try running a preexec script that checks the timezone
variables, and see what they say.  You could also try manualy setting
the timezone in the /etc/init.d/smb file.  (As to how to do these
things, I'm not entirly sure).

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett