2.2.0 Installed and a problem

George R.Kasica georgek at netwrx1.com
Wed Apr 18 02:19:07 GMT 2001

Hello:

I've successfully build and upgraded to 2.2.0 here but I'm rapidly
puling out my hair (or what's left of it after alpha3) on getting W2K
working with LInux as a PDC.

Here's what I have:

smb.conf:
========
[root at eagle lib]# more smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
        security = user
        status = yes
        workgroup = NETWRX1
        domain logons = yes
        logon script = scripts\%U.bat
        domain admin group = @adm
        add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine
-d /dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
        guest account = ftp
        share modes = no
        os level = 65
        netbios name = EAGLE
        server string = Netwrx Consulting Linux Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
        username map = /etc/samba.d/smbusers
        unix password sync = Yes
        syslog = 3
        syslog only = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba_log.%m
        max log size = 100
        max xmit = 8192
        deadtime = 15
        os level = 33
        preferred master = True
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        message command = logger -p daemon.notice -f %s ; rm %s
        max connections = 10
        min print space = 2000
        map archive = No

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
        guest ok = no
        writeable = no
        share modes = No

My /etc/passwd entry for the machine GEORGEK$ looks like
GEORGEK$:x:536:100:Caldera OpenLinux User:/home/GEORGEK$:/bin/bash

My smbpasswd looks like:
GEORGEK$:536:B24F4BE919C81489AAD3B435B51404EE:9650F39D0FA851842CCFF703FE311172:[
W          ]:LCT-3ADCF62A:

I've added an admn users on W2K as root with the same password as root
on the unix box.

I sign in here in W2K as user georgek

I get the following error on logon:
Domain user georgek failed to add this workstation to the NETWRX1
domain. The System Reported The parameter is incorrect. Avoid this
error by selecting 'Attach to Workgroup' in the Networking:Microsoft
Networking Tab"

IF I try to follow the procedure in the smba-pdc-howto for Joining a
Domain under W2K I get the following after doing the following:

          + Logon to the W2k machine as Administrator, go to the
Control
            Panel and double click on Network and Dialup Connections.
          + Pull down the Advanced menu and choose Network
            Identification. Press Properties .
          + Choose Domain and enter the domain name. Press 'OK'.
          + Now enter a user name and password for a Domain Admin (Who
            must be root until a pre-release bug is fixed) and press
            'OK'.
          + Wait for the confirmation, reboot when prompted.

Using the login of root to add the machine This yields an error
message of:

The following error ocurred:attempting to join the Domain NETWRX1:
The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"

SO what am I missing here or doing wrong?? I'm sure its simple but I
can't see it.

Thanks in advance,

George

===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 513 8503
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
Netwrx Consulting Inc.          Waukesha, WI USA
http://www.netwrx1.com
georgek at netwrx1.com
ICQ #12862186