User authentication tracing

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed Apr 18 01:50:26 GMT 2001

You can setup samba to prod the client every now and then, if this
causes a broken pipe, then the user probably turned their machine off.
See the keeplive section fo the smb.conf manpage for details.

You should also look into the --with-utmp option, as this writes the
information to the standard unix files for these things.  (Use w and
last to see the output).

The other option is too use PAM session support, due (I hope) in the
next release of samba 2.2, to run standard PAM modules for the task.

Andrew Bartlett