PCPine performs illegal operation writing fcc over samba

William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wcolburn at nmt.edu
Tue Apr 17 19:52:53 GMT 2001

This is a resend, since the samba list didn't like my logfile.  I guess
it was too big.  The logfile is now at:
     http://www.nmt.edu/~wcolburn/samba.log

I am sending this to both the pine people and the samba people.  My hope
is that one of you might be able to help me.  :)

PCPine is installed on a network drive (Y:) here.  It is run from
Windows 95 boxes.  The users account is on a network drive (U:).  Both
Y: and U: are alpha boxes running Samba.  When pine sends email, it gets
an "illegal operation" error and is shut down after writing the "fcc".
If I explicitly turn off the fcc then pine runs normally and send email
without exiting.

The samba version is 2.2.0-alpha3.  I'm not sure exactly what is going
on, but it looks like the samba seems to get some weird oplock errors.
I am attaching a logfile (level 3) from the U: samba for an instance of
pine running and exiting.

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn at nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology