Samba, vfat and new kernels: Anyone able to solve the problem?

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Tue Apr 17 15:42:51 GMT 2001

I had the same problem recently (using Samba with shared vfat
partitions, and NFS-mounting vfat partitions over a network).
This worked fine with 2.2.17 and earlier, but not with 2.2.18 and
newer.  I did a lot of digging and wound up swapping e-mail with
Alan Cox and others involved in the development of the NFS code.
I was told that, yes, I was right, NFS doesn't work with vfat in
the new kernels - the code was considered an incredible kluge
and was removed.  So, I simply wound up moving all of the shared
directories to ext2; I'm now using 2.4.1 with Samba and NFS and
all works well.  In the case of one directory which needs to be
on vfat also, I copy the contents from the ext2 euqivalent over
to it a regular intervals as a cron job.

Ciao - Bob

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Gianpaolo Cugola wrote:

> This is my third mail in the last three months and still no-one has
> answered, while I received some comments from other users about the fact
> that the problem is known. So if you have any info on how to fix this,
> please post a message :-)

http://www.malibyte.net

"The weather is here - wish you were beautiful." - J. Buffett