Windows 9x diskless from a samba server

Support Qualystem support at qualystem.com
Tue Apr 17 11:58:09 GMT 2001

Using Windows 98 diskless PCs that boots using a samba
server is NOW POSSIBLE.

Detailed information on our web site:
http://www.qualystem.com/shortcuts/litenetpc_start.htm

Our LiteNET PC product version 1.50  makes it possible
to use a shared directory on a samba server as if it was
a local C: hard disk.

Furthermore, this shared directory can be used at the same time
by several clients.

If you combine the access rights that you can apply to files
and folders on a samba shared directory and the fact that you
can use only one "virtual" hard disk for several clients stations,
you have a system that has all the benefits of thin clients
and all the power of real PCs.
For instance, you can install applications only once whatever number
of clients stations you have on your network. All the clients
will be able to use the newly installed application after a simple
reboot.
Because of access rights on files and folders on the samba share,
the non-privileged users can't modify the system configuration and
the viruses can't spread to the system files.
Unlike standard thin clients system, you can use 3D applications
and games, full multimedia etc. on the clients stations.

Detailed information on our web site:
http://www.qualystem.com/shortcuts/litenetpc_start.htm

Windows ME clients support is currently under development

So far we could have 50 diskless clients booting together from a
samba 2.0.3 server using LiteNET PC 1.50 alpha3

LiteNET PC 1.50 is currently in version alpha4.
We will post a message to this list when LiteNET PC 1.50 beta
version is available. Some readers may want to be beta testers.

Don't hesitate to ask for details if you need some.

HTH

Yves

At 09:08 17/04/01 +0200, Ries van Twisk wrote:
> > Is there a possibility to run diskless PCs under Windows 98 or
> > Windows ME with all the files located on a samba server ?
>
>No this is not really posible, Win98 and ME was not designed for running
>diskless. It's a M$ thing again. What you can do is take a look at
>www.bpbatch.org. I use this the queqcly install computers using a TFTP
>server and PXE compatible bootrooms.
>
>RIes

                Support Technique - Qualystem Technology
             Windows 98 remote boot & diskless : WE DID IT !
       Remote Boot - NetPC - PXE - Diskless - BootProms - CDBoot
         http://www.qualystem.com  http://www.qualystem.net