samba issues

Kourosh Ghassemieh kourosh at loop.com
Mon Apr 16 21:05:38 GMT 2001

Alexander,

It is not a good ida to use a system tmp directory
(eg. /tmp and /var/tmp) as a share.  Often, the system
is set up to periodically clear the /tmp directory.  This
is most likely the reason for the disapearing files in
this instance.  Would you please send the smb.conf file
for the other instance as well.

Are those directories symbolic links to other directories?

Regards,

Kourosh

At 04:45 AM 4/17/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>looks like this is something to do with filesystem. ihad a look in log files
>just now and nothing seems to be with any os activity.
>on second server share name is /var/share and still it's being wiped out.
>windows boxes are win2k sp1. files are not going missing in a second. it
>takes few hours to get that. i have 777 permissions on shared directory
>right now.
>on second server we moved about 4 gig of data. we checked all files ater we
>finished with copying, even crc's, and nearly all of it gone overnight. once
>again in share root everything seems to be OK.

-
Kourosh Ghassemieh
MindWare Information Systems & Technologies
9255 Sunset Blvd, Penthouse
West Hollywood CA 90069
(310) 729-1784
kourosh at loop.com