Having problems with files that have the ':' character

Mário Gamito mgamito at ua.pt
Mon Apr 16 19:49:38 GMT 2001

Hi!

> Some of the files on my linux box have the character ':' in their name.
> Viewing them over the network via smb, samba seems to replace the ':' with
> a '~'.
I having that very same problem.
I run a network of abot 100 computers, half win98 half Macs.
Well it seems that Macs in particular cause that problem and when it comes to
share documents between computers using a common share, somtimes it's a mess.

Since it seems there is no remedy to recover from the character ':' is there
a way to prevent Samba to use it?

Thanx.

Mário Gamito
pt is for Portugal