Having problems with files that have the ':' character

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Apr 16 17:24:27 GMT 2001

Hello Ryan,
Believe the problem is in the name mangling, and the 'illegal' character
":";  What happens is that because of samba's name mangling capability, it
will display the file named
(for instance) hello:1.txt  as HELLO~6E.TXT.  So far so good.  Problem comes
in copying it;
Samba gets the request (NT Create&X) to create the file HELLO~6E.TXT;
because of the ~ character it invokes its name UN mangling routines, and
comes up with the original name
"hello:1.txt"; OOPS - this is an illegal name for NT Create & X, and part of
the code that handles the reply to an NT Create & X checks filenames for
illegal characters (which : IS, for a pc client)  so the attempt to create
the copy fails.
BTW, if you try to create a file named "hello:1.txt" using windows explorer,
it will fail to do so as well on a local disk, telling you a list of
characters that are illegal in filenames...

NOW - how do you work aound this???
I would suggest that you don't even try.  If you have files that need to be
accessed regularly from PC's, you should ensure that your filenaming
convention on the Linux box for whatever application is generating these
files conforms to the naming convention the pc's must use.

Sorry,
Don