Having problems with files that have the ':' character

Ryan Korock r.korock at f5.com
Mon Apr 16 16:35:06 GMT 2001

Some of the files on my linux box have the character ':' in their name. Viewing them over the network via smb, samba seems to replace the ':' with a '~'.

The real problem is that these files cannot be copied/moved at all (error messages appear).

Has anyone else encountered this issue? And is there a fix or workaround? (please don't tell me I need to rename all my files ;)  ).

Much Appreciated,
-Ryan

I am running v2.0.5a on a redhat box with kernel 2.2.12-20, and connecting to it via a win2000 server box.