Mysterious connection disappearances (follow up)

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Mon Apr 16 14:11:03 GMT 2001

To follow up with the problem I described a few days ago concerning
connection problems and Windows 95.

We tried some more goofy things at the client end. For example: running
a program that regularly opens and reads a file on the server (every 5
minutes) prevented the lockup from occurring. We dug into the log file
for this client and found a number of oplock operations that seemed to
have gone awry around the time the lockups occurred - so our current
action is to turn oplocks off and see if it solves the problem.

The smb.conf man page speaks of some bugs in the oplock code for win95,
does anyone know if this could result in the behaviour I've described?

-Bill