Samba & Linux SMP kernel

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Apr 15 00:58:29 GMT 2001

At 08:57 AM 4/13/01 -0600, Eric Sisler wrote:

> Most of the problems I'm having are oplock
>related.  Oplocks work pretty well on 1.9 but badly under 2.0.  Is my SMP
>kernel the culprit or do I need to look elsewhere?

I'm running Samba 2.0.7 on a SMP kernel 2.4.2 (although the same Samba
installation functioned the same way when the box was running 2.2.17 a few
months back). I do have a problem with oplocks, but I think that it is
supposed to be a feature rather than a bug: Samba gives/respects oplocks,
but no other server-side software is aware of them so server-side file
changes can confuse the heck out of a workstation. This applies also to
stuff which is shared by both NFS and Samba.

--
"Of course, Linux has become userfriendly. See, you can now click
buttons. But the thing is you don't feel like clicking them".