Extreme samba newbie needs help

Michael Sandford sandford_michael at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 14 20:24:38 GMT 2001

Hi,
I am having some troubles setting samba up nicely on my Slackware 7.1
machine.  It is currently just a web/ftp server mainly for my personal use
at home.  I downloaded the tarball samba-2.0.7 and did everything to install
it "properly."  I edited services to include:
netbios-ns      137/tcp                         # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns      137/udp
netbios-dgm     138/tcp                         # NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm     138/udp
netbios-ssn     139/tcp                         # NETBIOS session service
and I edited inetd.conf to include:
netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd
smbd
netbios-ns      dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd
nmbd
swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/swat swat

I got most of that from a NHF from www.linuxnewbie.org

When I try and access the share locally via: smbclient -L localhost
I get this error:
root at vader82:/etc# smbclient -L localhost
added interface ip=192.168.0.1 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Broken pipe.
session request to LOCALHOST failed (code 0)
read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Broken pipe.
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (code 0)

I found this quite curious, and have been searching around for the answer
for a while now, with no luck.  My smb.conf file is as follows:
root at vader82:/usr/local/samba/lib# more smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from SirLancelot (192.168.0.2)
# Date: 2001/04/14 14:30:13

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = CAMELOT
        netbios name = KINGARTHUR
        interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24
        bind interfaces only = Yes

[msandford]
        comment = Mikes Share
        path = /home/msandford/
        writeable = Yes

I used SWAT to do that, which seems to work just fine.  I appreciate any
help anyone can give me.  I am hoping its just a stupid mistake I've made
somewhere but I'm guessing its something more difficult to track down, thats
what every other linux problem I've had has been.  If you need more info on
configuration or anything please let me know sandford_michael at hotmail.com

Thank You,
Michael Sandford