Mysterious connection disappearances

Tom Syroid tom at syroidmanor.com
Sat Apr 14 19:23:12 GMT 2001

Bill,

If your "mail postoffice" uses PST files for message stores (it's been
awhile... if you are referring to MS Mail... circa 1995 I believe...) it is
indeed an Outlook issue. Outlook locks its PST's for exclusive access,
which make them a useless format for a quasi multi-user mail system. You'll
need to go to a full blown email system like Exchange or CommuniGate Pro or
??whatever??.

--On Saturday, April 14, 2001 02:25 -0400 Bill Moran <wmoran at iowna.com>
wrote:

> The "Microsoft mail postoffice" occasionally has files with deny_all
> locks on them that prevent other users from sending email to the user.
> My first impression was that this was an Outlook issue, but rebooting
> the entire (client) computer does not unstick the problem. The only
> thing to do seems to be to kill the connection from SWAT

/tom

http://insights.syroidmanor.com
Author, Outlook 2000 in a Nutshell (O'Reilly)