Changing Domains from NT4 / AD 2000

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Apr 12 14:55:12 GMT 2001

Hi Kirk,
Yes, the username map works the same in security = server as security =
domain.  So if security = domain and your username map has been working for
you so far, modifying
security=domain to security=server should be pretty transparent to your
users.
Of course, security = domain IS the preferred method.  I remember you
mentioned that you
are using 2.0.6;  Jeremy posted a patch to 2.0.7 last night (he was the one
that originally wrote it!) that fixes the problem I mentioned.  And 2.0.7
plays better with Win2k clients.
So at some point you might consider moving up to 2.0.7 & this patch and
going back into domain mode, OR go up to 2.2.x (which has this problem fixed
as well) when it becomes released/stable.

(Thanks again, Jeremy for posting that patch...)

BTW, Both Richard Sharp's "Special Edition Using Samba" and the OReilly
"Using Samba" have nice sections describing the differences between domain
and server level security, and why you would prefer one to the other, if
you're interested.  I personally couldn't live without either one of these
books...

Hope this helps,
Don