Samba and Sun NIS

Jeff Landers JL1 at gty.ci.henderson.nv.us
Wed Apr 11 23:55:52 GMT 2001

I am trying to get Samba working under Solaris 8 with NIS (not plus) on this. My NT machine and the Sun machine pass all of the diagnostics and I can see the exported drives but can't login.  Everything seems fine and I have Samba working on my AIX machines. I compiled with NIS+ support even though I am using NIS and it did not work so then I compiled without support and same error. I am using encrypted passwords since that is what NT is using.

 I used both mksmbpasswd and mknissmbpasswd to populate the smbpasswd file but when I try to change a users smb password I get the error:

make_sam_from_nisresult: NIS+ lookup failure:Error in accessing NIS+ cold start file...is NIS+ installed?

I don't think I am going to be able to log in from NT until I can, at least, change a password as root.       Help!

Jeff Landers
UNIX Sys Admin
City of Henderson, NV
702-566-2761