Changing Domains from NT4 / AD 2000

Kirk Shimek Kirk.Shimek at trw.com
Wed Apr 11 20:45:32 GMT 2001

Hello all.

AIX 4.3.3 / Samba 2.0.6 / Production NT4.0 domain
Security = DOMAIN
encrypt passwords = yes
update encrypted = yes

Action: Moving from NT4.0 domain called nt40 to AD 2000 Domain called ad-domain

Problem: Users that have been migrated to ad-domain cannot authenticate to AIX SAMBA shares . . . the AIX SAMBA server is still part of the nt40 domain.

Explanation:  I can however, map / access share if I use the "administrator" login of the ad-domain.  We have a two way trust between the nt40 domain and the 2000 ad-domain.  This particular share configuration is:

guest account = guest
guest = okay
read only = no
create mask = 0777
force create mode = 0777
directory mask = 0777
force directory mode = 0777
browseable = yes

I don't want to move the AIX SAMBA server into the new 2000 ad-domain yet because I don't want to risk the production nt40 domain losing this share.  I'm in testing mode yet with 2 live users logging into the 2000 ad-domain.  Everything else (printer and folder shares and even proxy) from a PC world works.

Please ask any further questions that you need answers to, to clarify the issue at hand.  And of course any solutions.