Cleaning up Network Neighborhood

Dave Brodin brodind at city.bloomington.in.us
Wed Apr 11 15:03:02 GMT 2001

I couldn't find anything like this in the archives, although it must be
there.  We are running Samba 2.0.7 on RedHat Linux 6.0 using Windows 95
clients.

Our Network Neighborhood is filled with workgroups that no longer
exist.  In some cases, someone connected with a laptop that was in a
certain workgroup and it was added to the list of our workgroups.  Even
that that person has been gone for almost a year, the workgroup still
remains in the list.  If you try to open the workgroup, there are always
errors because there is nothing in the workgroup anymore.

How do you clean up the list of workgroups?  Do they ever time out?  I
tried editing browse.dat and wins.dat, but the workgroups just keep
reappearing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Dave Brodin
Systems Engineering Manager