James Nord's reply to Win2K and multiple Samba 2.07 servers

James Nord teilo at cdt.luth.se
Tue Apr 10 08:26:13 GMT 2001

G+D Computing Pty Ltd wrote:

> The software in question can generate large files, up to 2 gig,  some
> reads are buffered but not all. But it goes a bit further than this,
> why does NT4.0 and Win2K behave so differently with network
> read/writes ?

Internally to W2k there are a lot of differences/ new API's & APIs that
have been removed/modified.

Just look at the way SQL7 was faster on NT4 then 2k and SQL2000 is
faster on 2k than NT4.

> Obivously there are of differences between the two, but if Win95
> through to ME and NT4.0 do a decent job, seems a bit strange that
> Win2K can't deliver the same peformance. Incidently reading the file
> from NT4.0 to Win2K seems to have no problem.

This would seem to indicate a probelm with samba.  I am not a samba
developer but I would suggest that you increase the debugging level of
samba and then send/post on the web a snippet of you log file.

The thing that springs immediatly to mind is something wierd going on
with oplocks.

> I tried setting security = server and set password server to the name
> of  the other samba server and edited the hosts file to make sure it
> could find  it okay. Pinging the hostname is fine, but authenticating
> a windows client  would not work. I'll try again, it was late at night
> I was tired etc, could  somebody confirm that you need to have a local
> account for every smb user ?

Yes the users need to have an account on that machine (but it need not
be local - could be NIS etc)

/James

--
Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet.
	Douglas Adams