mounting share on NT server

molina wellington-nonpay randall at charter.net
Mon Apr 9 17:21:41 GMT 2001

yes another Linix newbie.. :)  I'm wanting to mount a shared
folder on an NT file server. The network includes a NT PDC,
NT file server, 98 machines and the one Linux box. I've
found a lot of HOWTO's on Samba but most are in the
direction of Samba being the server not the client. I can
mount the share with smbmount //server/share /mnt/mountpoint
and then supplying the password, but only as root. After
this everything works great, but after a period of
inactivity the mount points become locked and all access is
denied, even as root. Encrypted passwords are enabled on
samba, all accounts are added with "smbadduser" and the
Linux box shows in Network neighborhood. The Windoz machines
can access the Linux box with no problems. I'm sure there is
something very simple I'm missing here..  :)

TIA,
Randall