Win2k box joining 2.2 domain - problem

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Mon Apr 9 13:48:49 GMT 2001

I've followed the steps in the 2.2 PDC howto (I think).  When I try
and join the domain from a Win2k box I get an error message saying
that I'm trying to use a machine account and I should use a global or
local user account.

When the Win2k box asks for a name and password that can join the
domain I give "root" and root's samba password.

I had previously added root to the domain admins group and added root
to the smbpasswd list (with a different password to the local
/etc/passwd one).

Is there a step I'm missing?

Samba binaries build from the up-to-date 2.2 cvs source and I can
browse the samba shares as a workgroup.

--

Bruce