Passwords Incorrect

Greg Kelley gkelley at londavia.com
Mon Apr 9 12:39:29 GMT 2001

I have been using NT for over 7 years and Linux for 2 years. I have 4
different SAMBA installations working great - some stand alone and some part
of an NT domain. I recently installed RedHat 7.0 on a new server and set up
a simple SAMBA server as shown in the config below. Most clients are W95
with a couple of W98 which I set the registry to support unencrypted
passwords.

Users that are part of the 'benadmin' group can access their home folder and
the storage folder. Users that aren't part of benadmin only get an
'incorrect password' error and can't access anything. Strangely enough, with
encrypted passwords set to off, I can see a PAM_Auth error in syslog saying
authentication failed (even though users as part of benadmin can still get
thru) and if I turn encrypted passwords on the syslog error disappears! This
is all very strange. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)
# Date: 2001/04/08 16:39:10

# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = BEN
 netbios name = BENSRV
 server string = BEN Samba Server
 encrypt passwords = No
 debug level = 0
 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
 max log size = 0
 socket options =
 preferred master = Yes
 dns proxy = No
 printing = lprng

[homes]
 comment = Home Folder
 path = /opt/storage/users/%u
 valid users = %u, @benadmin
 writeable = Yes
 create mask = 0766
 directory mask = 0766
 browseable = No

[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 printable = Yes
 browseable = No

[storage]
 path = /opt/storage
 valid users = @benadmin
 writeable = Yes
 create mask = 0766

________________________
Greg Kelley, IT Director
Londavia, Inc.
Pease Int'l Tradeport
68 New Hampshire Ave.
Portsmouth, NH  03801
603.766.3005
http://www.londavia.com
SSA, EAA, AOPA, N5506M

When I die, I want to go like my grandfather did, gently while sleeping,
and not like his passangers, screaming in terror, looking for the
nearest parachute.