Win2K and multiple Samba servers and Samba 2.07

G+D Computing Pty Ltd strand7 at gd.com.au
Mon Apr 9 00:44:50 GMT 2001

Hello to all,

This is my first ever use of a mailing list so bear with my ramblings and
illiterate prose.

I have been using samba from 2.03 to 2.07 for over a year now. We run DHCP,
WINS on the samba (acting as domain) box running Mandrake 6.0. Windows
machines are running everything from Win95 up to Win2K. With Win2K I have
problems with slow read/write, particularly for one application which reads
byte by byte. This program stores its data files on the server. Both ftp
and Windows explorer file speed is very similar, so I don't like to point
the finger at Samba. But this application reading byte by byte is painfully
slow. I note the 2nd read of the same file is much faster, but I assume
this is Win2K caching the file. If I turn off oplocks, then always the same
file read is slow.

It's got to the point where I have removed Win2K and gone back to NT4.0
sp6. NT4.0 has no speed file read problems. Is there something nasty in
Win2K that you guys may know ?

It seems like there is an overhead for calling a byte read which is
inefficient, but surely the operating system (Win2K) can compensate for this ?

I think the general network is okay, and since NT4.0 and other windows
boxes have no problem, what's Win2K doing special ?

SP1 is installed on win2k computers (well it was when I was running it)

I've found samba to be very reliable and stable. I've recently added a 2nd
Samba server running Redhat 6.2. I wanted the share authentication to be
done via the first samba's smb password list, I've set the first server up
as DOMAIN. Setting security = share or security = domain won't work I
believe when you have a samba box partly emulating the domain. I was
wondering what are the options in 2.0.7 for this or do I need to get 2.2
Alpha ?

Thanks in advance.

Edmund Martin

G+D Computing