File corruption when copying from samba to win2k

Wayne Thompson wayne at deathship.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 8 15:32:06 GMT 2001

Hi,

I've seen a few messages about this but no answers in the archive...

I have a win2k machine & a Redhat7.0 machine running samba2.0.7. I recently
had to re-install my win2k machine, so I backed up everything onto the samba
machine (approx. 5Gb). When I copied the files back to the win2k machine
after the re-install, some of the files turned out to be corrupted.

There were no errors whilst I was copying (on the win2k machine) so I only
found out about the corruption when I tried opening the files. It seems to
be large files that are randomly affected, but smaller files (<10Mb) don't
seem to have been hit.

I'm pretty sure it only happens from samba to win2k, because I checked the
damaged files on the samba server and they are fine. I even copied them
again (one-by-one) and they seem fine. (Maybe it has something to do with
copying thousands of files all at once..?)

I did notice that an error popped up on the console of the linux server
whilst the large copy was proceeding...

eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 0000 media 00
eth0: Tx queue start entry 2010970 dirty entry 2010970

There don't seem to be any obvious errors in the smb log files, except this
one...

[2001/04/08 12:41:55, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_ioctl(2516)
 call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.

The smb.conf is pretty standard...

[global]
	printing = lprng
	update encrypted = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	workgroup = DARK
	server string = Server
	netbios name = LEAK_SERVER
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

[store]
	path = /store
	writeable = Yes

So I am struggling to work out why I am getting this one-way corruption.

Plus I have also noticed that if I send files from the win2k machine to the
samba machine, my network "pulses". Ie the transfer speed oscillates from 0
to 4Mb/s. Yet when I send from samba to win2k it seems to stream at about
2Mb/s.

I am using 2 Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Ethernet Adapters, which I recently
installed.

Please, please help...?

Wayne