Printing via smbclient to Windows BJC-2100 printer

Barry Ramirez kethet at keth.net
Fri Apr 6 17:24:53 GMT 2001

I've seen variations on this problem in the past but they haven't seemed
to help much in this instance.  I have Samba running on a
NetBSD(sparc) and would like to set it up to print to a Canon BJC-2100
running on a networked Windows ME machine.  (My sparc box lacks a
'standard' parallel interface and I lack an adapter).  I can print just
fine to the printer from a second Windows machine, so I know the sharing
is set correctly on the Me box.

I set up smbprint and made the appropriate changes to my printcap and did
the lpd twiddling to enable the printer, and when I try to print from the
NetBSD machine, it does indeed seem to connect (I see the little Canon
print monitor box pop up with the status timebar and so on) but the
printer never actually prints.  I tried a more direct approach and
connected to the printer via smbclient and attempted to print from within
there to the same result -- it says it's connected and sent the file, the
dialogue box pops up, says it's printing, says it's done, and closes.  No
printout.

Upon the advice of a friend, I went to change the spool method on the
printer from EMF to RAW only to discover that it was already set to
that.  Changing it back to EMF did not alter the outcome.  On a lark I
changed the connection from bidirectional to uni-, and the outcome was
indeed different-- the printer status box never came up.  Changing it back
restored it.

I've seen advice for the BJC-610 and the -4xxx series of printers
before.  Has anyone had success printing to a 2100?  Is there a
recommended set of filters/etc. that I might be able to employ on the
sending (NetBSD) end?  I am operating under the theory that what smbclient
is sending to the share might not be in a language the 2100 can
understand.

Or am I just SOL?

Barry Ramirez           kethet at keth.net           http://www.keth.net/~kethet
"In computer terms, hardware is the stuff you can hit with a
baseball bat, and software is the stuff you can only swear at."
			- Luigi Fabio