Samba - slow browsing/folder opening

John P john at pmbbs.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 6 14:53:51 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Holger Schurig" <h.schurig at mn-logistik.de>
To: <samba at samba.org>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: Samba - slow browsing/folder opening

> > Any ideas? I've spent the last few weeks telling people how much
> > faster the service will be than before, and now I might be ending up
> > with egg on my face :-)
>
> That seems to be a problem of your box. I've seen several tests of
> german computer magacines with NT4 against Samba on identical hardware
> and Samba was always faster.
> You could test this by doing FTP. That too runs over the network, but
> it does not use Samba and therefore can be a test for your network.

Yeah, I tried copying 24MB of MP3 file from my laptop to the server, then
back again - in each case it took about 30 seconds, with cuteftp showing an
average of 1200KB/s. I then tried it from Windows (ME) and it took the same,
so the problems of yesterday aren't repeating. Folders open quickly again
too, and this is with quite a high network utilisation? Strange.. I wonder
if there was a rogue Windows PC on the network causing problems?

>         [general]
>         wins support = yes
>         name resolve order = hosts bcast
>
> First you are a wins server, but then you don't use it for name
> resolving. How abaout "hosts wins"?

OK - I thought wins support was to tell my Samba box to act as a WINS server
for my Windows PC's. Then name resolve is to tell Samba where to find this
data? In my case, I don't have any other WINS server, so it uses the DNS of
my Linux box then broadcasts.

Cheers
john