Samba - slow browsing/folder opening

Holger Schurig h.schurig at mn-logistik.de
Fri Apr 6 10:49:11 GMT 2001

> Any ideas? I've spent the last few weeks telling people how much
> faster the service will be than before, and now I might be ending up
> with egg on my face :-)

That seems to be a problem of your box. I've seen several tests of
german computer magacines with NT4 against Samba on identical hardware
and Samba was always faster.

That your "cp -r" is fast but Samba is slow is one indication. Maybe
your network is faulty, e.g. the CAT5 cable is not good enought. Or one
adaper has problems with N-Way autonegotion. Stuff like that.

You could test this by doing FTP. That too runs over the network, but
it does not use Samba and therefore can be a test for your network.

I did not understand

        [general]
        wins support = yes
        name resolve order = hosts bcast

First you are a wins server, but then you don't use it for name
resolving. How abaout "hosts wins"?

Also

        [general]
        dns proxy = yes

can make CONNECTIONS slower (not opening a directory) if the
workstations are not all in your DNS. I therefore turned it off and
enabled WINS and DNS on my workstations.

        [homes]
        locking = No

Is there a reason why you explicitly switch this feature off?  Not sure
of locking also switches the optimistic locking off, but the latter can
be a tremendous time saver.