Samba Problem with Windows98 client

Christian Ospelkaus christian at core-coutainville.org
Fri Apr 6 10:34:50 GMT 2001

Am Freitag,  6. April 2001 11:25 schrieben Sie:
> Dear Samba Team
>    I use samba-2.0.5a-1mdk on my linux server.i can use my PC with
> windows95 to share files and printers from the server,but  for my PC with
> windows98 I can't do that . They shows "You must supply a password to make
> this connection:"  and I tried to enter any password , but it didn't work.
> How can I do ?

It might be a problem with plain text passwords. Win95 is configured to send
plain text passwords to the server, while Win98 insists on sending encrypted
passwords by default. You can enable Win98 to send plain text passwords by
copying the file

Win98_PlainPassword.reg

from your local samba documentation directory onto a floppy and
double-clicking on that file in the explorer on the windows box. You will
have to reboot then.

Your other option is to enable samba to understand encrypted passwords, which
means you will have to maintain another password file (/etc/smbpasswd) on
your linux box. You will have to look at the file ENCRYPTION.txt from your
samba docs directory.
Best regards,

Christian Ospelkaus