smbmount problems

Sudheer Tumuluru stumuluru at real.com
Thu Apr 5 23:10:22 GMT 2001

Hi,
        I have an NT machine running an application which refreshes a
text file every minute or so with fresh data. The directory containing
this file is shared so that I can do an smbmount. I have a linux machine
which runs a program to interpret this file. When the program starts up,
it does smbmount of the remote directory. I am able to see the file but
there is a very visible propagation delay. I mount the same directory on
another NT machine and I see that the file change almost instantaneously
while the linux machine seems to take upto 2 seconds longer to refresh
the contents of the file. The application is very time sensitive and
needs to synchronize this file change event with other events coming
through the audio input. I set up TCP_NODELAY in smb.conf but that did
not help. Also tried setting fmask=2755 in the smbmount options (as per
smbfs.txt file). Don't know what else to do to eliminate the additional
delay. Any pointers??

Thanks in advance,
Sudheer