Quickbooks Pro 2001

Edward Muller emuller at learningpatterns.com
Thu Apr 5 22:42:24 GMT 2001

I moved a Quickbooks Pro file to our Samba server (v 2.0.7) during an effort
to centralize some stuff in our organization. Before moving the file to the
samba server it was shared from a users NT Workstation. I don't consider
this a viable long term solution. Anyway ... here it goes with my problem
report .... :-)

So I moved the Quickbooks file to the Samba server, setup an Accounting
share and then restricted access to the share ... here are the relevant
pieces of my smb.conf file.

[Accounting]
path = /someplace/over/here
browseable = yes
public = no
guest ok = no
writeable = no
printable = no
valid users = @accounting
write list = @accounting
force group = +accounting
create mask = 770
force create mode = 770
force directory mode = 770

So I mapped the drive, then opened the file up ... So far so good...

I walked over to the part time book keeper's machine and logged on ...
mapped the drive ... and tried to open the quickbooks file. NO GO! I got an
error messasge ... with an error code of 59. I'll post tommorow with the
specific error message (I'm not in the office right now)...

So I hit the mailing list archives .. And I found several other people have
had the same problems ... I tried the various suggestions I found in the
mailing lists and none of the worked.

I'll post my logs from debug = 4 tommrow as well (Again, I'm not at my
office right now)

I need to figure out a way to get my companies quickbooks files onto the
Samba box (keeping me from having to setup an NT Server, a thing I've
managed to do so far :-). I'll work with anyone who can help.

BTW: All the machines are NT v4.0 SP6a (minimum needed for Quickbooks Pro
2001)..

Can anyone give me any insight? Did the people who posted on the list in the
past ever get their problem solved? I'd love to help get this resolved and
can do network dumps if they help resolve this ... I'll provide any more
information that people need to help.

Thanks,
Edward Muller