session request failed

Steve Kleene skclug at syrano.acb.uc.edu
Thu Apr 5 18:54:57 GMT 2001

I'm having a problem as I try to set up samba-2.0.3 for the first time.  On
my Linux machine (Red Hat 6.0), I have "smbd -D -d 2" running in the
background.  The installation is the default set up by the Red Hat rpm,
except that I added the "-d 2" option to smbd.  At this point, I'm just
trying to get a list of available services from a Win98 machine that is set
to allow printer sharing.  The two machines are both on a Netgear hub.  The
Win98 machine is 192.168.0.2 and listed as "nancy" in my hosts file.  When I
run

  smbclient -d A -L nancy

I get a "session request failed" message.  The complete output is shown at
the end of this post.

According to the DIAGNOSIS.txt file provided with samba, this is a failure of
TEST 3.  The following additional info is probably relevant:

  Running "testparm smb.conf" turns up no errors.  The settings include:
      hosts allow =
      hosts deny =
      bind interfaces only = No
  I tried
      hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
      which also failed.
  The Linux box and the Win98 machine can ping each other.
  My inetd.conf does not call smbd.  The only one running is the one I started
    with "start /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb".
  There are no errors in the log.smb and log.nmb files.

I'd be grateful for some ideas of what to try next.  My ultimate goal is to
access an HP DeskJet on the Windows machine from Linux.  Thanks.

====== [output of smbclient -d A -L nancy] ==================================

Added interface ip=192.168.0.3 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Client started (version 2.0.3).
resolve_name: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name nancy<0x20>
getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: 127.0.0.1 localhost
resolve_name: Attempting host lookup for name nancy<0x20>
Connecting to 192.168.0.2 at port 139
write_socket(3,76)
write_socket(3,76) wrote 76
Sent session request
got smb length of 1
size=1
smb_com=0x0
smb_rcls=0
smb_reh=0
smb_err=0
smb_flg=0
smb_flg2=0
smb_tid=0
smb_pid=0
smb_uid=0
smb_mid=0
smt_wct=0
smb_bcc=0
session request to NANCY failed
resolve_name: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name nancy<0x20>
getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: 127.0.0.1 localhost
resolve_name: Attempting host lookup for name nancy<0x20>
Connecting to 192.168.0.2 at port 139
write_socket(3,76)
write_socket(3,76) wrote 76
Sent session request