Win2k needs password twice

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Thu Apr 5 14:53:04 GMT 2001

You are running with plaintext passwords. Win2K will not connect to
a server running in plaintext password mode without asking for the
password. This dialog is VERY misleading to people. It is not that
the other password is wrong or NT doesn't know the password. This
is to prevent you from accidently sending your password to a malicious
server. What the dialog is really saying is "You are in plaintext
mode. Do you REALLY want me to send your password over the wire?"

See the docs for changing to encryped passwords if you want to get
rid of this prompt.

Ben Stuyts wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently upgraded a few of the win98 machines here to win2kpro, and
> now, after logging in, the password has to be entered again for the shares.
> I've searched around but can't find a solution to this problem. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> This is on Samba 2.0.7 on FreeBSD, and here is smb.conf:

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177