Insuffecient Quota with Win2k and Samba 2.0.7

Gary McNickle gary at sunstorm.net
Thu Apr 5 14:17:10 GMT 2001

    I have a Redhat Linux 7 machine running Samba 2.07 for file server access only.  Samba is setup to use our NT server (4 w/sp6) as the primary domain controller to validate accounts on.

    Fine, this is all working dandy. Except that for some odd reason, when some of our Win2k clients are accessing the file server, they will occasionally get an "Insufficient Quota" error.  Now, admittedly, I have no idea if it is samba or Win2k that is causing this, but some points;

1: This only happens with clients running win2k
2: This only happens when they are attempting to save data to the samba share
3: Neither our NT server (the pdc), nor the samba server are setup to use file quotas

    Curiously, only two (of the oh, 20+) of our Win2k clients have reported this problem, both artists.  One says it only happens when they are in 3dMax, the other says it only happens in Photoshop. (They both use both tools).

    If any one has any insight into why this may be happening, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Gary McNickle
<gary#sunstorm.net>
Network Administrator