Samba on NT giving "the MOUNTD is not registered" error

Cameron Biggart cameronb at illawarramercury.com
Wed Apr 4 21:57:49 GMT 2001

Hi

I have set up SAMBA on a Mandrake Linux box to share a CD collection to an NT domain. The box shows up in the network browser and the share shows up when you browse the box. But if you try and browse the share you get the error "the MOUNTD server isn't registered" any ideas on how I can rectify this? If I use the smbclient command on the Mandrake box I can log onto the share as root, but not as any other user, I get the error message "tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRinventname (invalid network name in tree connect)".

Here is the share fragment of the smb.conf file

[clipart]
    comment = Clipper Disks
    available = yes
    browseable = yes