Q: Hide files/dirs when no rights?

Ph. Marek marek at mail.bmlv.gv.at
Wed Apr 4 08:35:02 GMT 2001

Hi everybody,

I have a short question. Please pardon me if it's been asked before - I
searched but didn't find an answer.

Is there currently or will there be (or should I post a diff) that allows
(by using a configuration statement) to hide directories and files to which
the user has no right to?

assuming a directory
  drwxrwxrwx   root  root   common
  drwx------   user1 group1 home_user1
  drwx------   user2 group2 home_user2
  drwx------   user3 group2 home_user3
and a connection as user3 the entries common and home_user3 should be
visible and no more. (like using veto files, but depending on the rights to
that directory)

I know that that's more resource-intensive - but one stat() more per entry
could be a cost well paid (in a directory with ~300 entries and 5
accessible per user).

[Please CC me as I'm not on the list]

Regards,

Phil