Samba mount at Login?

Eric Kadison eric at kadison.com
Tue Apr 3 04:11:53 GMT 2001

Urban,

Thanks for your quick reply.  See issues below:

> > Can someone tell me how to set up a mount to occur
> automatically on login?
> > I have one directory per user on a Win network and I'd like
> each user to get
> > his own directory mounted when he logs in.  (Automounting on boot is ok,
> > too).  This is on Caldera eDesktop 2.4 with Samba 2.0.6.  I can find and
> > mount each directory just fine when logged in as root, but
> smbmount does not
> > do the job when logged in as a user (since it requires root access).
>
> You can get smbmount to mount as non root if you change smbmnt to be
> setuid root (chown root.root smbmnt; chmod u+s smbmnt).

I tried this and still cannot mount from a user id.  It produces an error
message indicating that only root can mount the volume.  Someone else said
that the code of smbmnt checked the user id for root.

> You can do it with an autofs map for /home (or /home/auto)
>
> /etc/auto.master:
> /home/auto       /etc/auto.home  --timeout=60

Caldera does not seem to use autofs.  There is an amd demon running.  Do you
know if I can  install autofs and run it together with amd?  Alternatively,
do I need to kill amd in order to use autofs?

> /etc/auto.home:
> user1  -fstype=smbfs,username=user1,password=...,uid=user1
> ://server/user1\$
> user2  -fstype=smbfs,username=user2,password=...,uid=user2
> ://server/user2\$
> user3  -fstype=smbfs,username=user3,password=...,uid=user3
> ://server/user3\$

Do you mean that, using autofs, the single file /etc/auto.home can have all
the mounts for all user names?  Does autofs then look at the name of the
user logged in and automatically mount the volumes identified in
/etc/auto.home for that user?

Thanks,
Eric