User Lock?

is at bamo.com is at bamo.com
Mon Apr 2 19:21:35 GMT 2001

Hello-
I would like to know if the following question is possible with Samba.  If
so, any information about how to, will be greatly appreciated.

We have a file server running Samba 2.0.7 in an NT4 environment of ±30
users.  All users are accessing this file server for most, if not all file
severing.  Is there a way, via samba, to not allow users to move specific
shared directories and/or files.  In particular, our accounting dB files are
being accessed on a daily basis; employee time keeping for example.  I would
like for the users NOT to be able to accidentally move or delete on the
these accounting dB files. Would this have something to do with a
"userlock"?

I am new to the Samba service, coming over from dreaded NT Server camp.
Since our implementation of our Samba/Linux box, we have had great success
with uptime, reliability, and efficiency. I hope to learn more about the
advantage of Samba.

Thank you,
-Michael