WINS Failover [Was: TODO list]

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Sep 29 14:33:28 GMT 2000

>   o Help Chris Hertel with WINS failover implementation
>     issues

The failover code is actually all written.  The issue is simply the
workings of the UNICAST_SUBNET.  I wanted Jeremy, who wrote that bit, to
take a careful look at it.

The UNICAST_SUBNET is a mechanism for making the point-to-point WINS
communication look like broadcast communication so that both can be
handled more or less the same way.  The design is good, though a bit
tricky, as it removes a special case that would involve a bit of redundant
coding.  The problem is that there is some special code for this, and the
assumption is made that there is only one remote address on the
UNICAST_SUBNET list.  I don't know what will happen if multiple addresses
are listed so I want to work Jeremy to make sure I've caught any problems.

Chris -)-----